Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 81

Happy 1: Hot apple cider. What a nice surprise when I walked into my office building today. The building staff provided hot chocolate and apple cider for people like me that work in the offices. I chose apple cider and it was delicious.

Happy 2: More Art Project Footage. On my walk to work I filmed the clock tower playing a tune and then chiming the hour. Then on my way home I filmed a lady playing the guitar and singing some good oldies songs. I also recorded the sound of the train coming into the station, the voice from above that announces the next stop, and the general noisiness of my daily commute. It is all coming together.

Happy 3: Peter Pan! The very last Fine Art event. So sad. But what a note to go out on! The play at Lookingglass Theatre was amazing. Words can't describe it but I will try. Take Disney's Peter Pan, Hook, Finding Neverland, and mash them all together. The set was nothing like I expected; it was industrial and cold. It forced us to use our imaginations to fill in the rest. The audience was seated on three sides of the "stage," which was really just a cement floor, so we were on equal footing. The cast came in and amongst us, and I was very close to some of them because I sat at the end of the row. The pirates were scary cannibals; clowns, creepy doctors, and a woman with Freddie Krueger-like fingers. Peter Pan, Wendy, John, and Michael actually flew. They wore harnesses the whole time and swung around on ropes, right above our heads. A really fun part happened at the beginning as we were all waiting for the show to start. There were light bulbs above our heads, but they weren't turned on. The cast came out, acting like little children, and wordlessly encouraged certain people to pull the string to turn them on. A lady came up to a friend of mine and wanted her to pull the string. She couldn't reach, so a CS girl sitting behind her pulled the string. Well, this was not what the lady wanted. She scowled at the girl, turned the light back off, and encouraged my friend to do it. She had to stand on a chair, but she got the job done. The story, the characters, the atmosphere, the imagination of it all brought me back to the simple days of childhood. At one point they drew pictures with chalk and I so wanted to get down on the floor and draw too. Super fantastic, out of this world, words can't describe, leave you wanting more, type of play. This was perhaps my favorite art event of the semester, which is saying something.

Crappy: Messed up at work...again. My supervisor came over to my desk and explained something really hurriedly, which is unusual. Come to find out, he had a meeting right then. I got to work selecting certain account numbers and making pdfs. When he got out of his meeting he came over to show me the next step. Apparently, I had made all of them incorrectly because I chose "Internal Review" as opposed to "Client Deliverable." I'm almost positive we didn't talk about that. No matter, I deleted everything I had done and redid all twenty-eight pdfs, printed them off, and paired them with the appropriate manila file folder.

1 comment:

  1. Roomie,

    1) Jealous. Peter Pan! You actually did a pretty good job describing it. I pictured it all taking place in the black box here on campus.

    2) I really want to see this project of yours when it all comes together! It sounds awesome!

    3) You go home tomorrow. Tomorrow! We will be in the same state again. :) Have a safe trip!

    Much love,
    Bestest-est

    ReplyDelete