Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 72

Tuesday, October 9
(It's after midnight, what can you do?)

Happy 1: The Flip Books. Today I spent a strong four hours on this project. Pick up forty-three page stack, put front cover on top, back cover on top of that, cut binding to size, put binding on, place booklet in binding machine, pull handle down, take out and inspect to make sure the binding is completely round and sufficiently closed, flip back cover over, leaf through book to make sure pages can flip freely, place on stack, repeat. I was nearly finished when I realized there weren't enough front covers. Uh oh. The only explanation is that there were duplicates on the ones already bound. So, I went through them and found eight that had two covers on them. Give me a break, they're clear plastic. I had to take the binding off, which was no easy task but I succeeded. Finished binding all eight books and thought I would take a break. I was wrong. Now I have to box them up. Okay, stick them in a big box and I'm done. Wrong again. Each book has to be placed in its own little box. Sigh. The process starts again. Take cardboard and fold along the correct parts to get the right size box, place one booklet inside, fold in the flaps, take packaging tape and securely and neatly close the box, place on stack, repeat. I got fifty boxes folded, filled, taped, and stacked, but time ran out before I could finish. Shucks. This is a happy because I thought my internship would be like this every day and it thankfully has not been. And it has given me a new appreciation for the work people do behind-the-scenes, without credit.

Happy 2: I was listening to my Golden Oldies station on Pandora and I caught myself singing all the lyrics to a song that came. I didn't know I knew it: Downtown. Join me as I take a stroll down memory lane. It's seventh grade mixed choir. We're singing an oldies medley; Downtown, Leaving on a Jet Plane, Breaking Up is Hard to Do, Going to the Chapel, All You Need is Love, A Teenager in Love. Why would these lyrics and song titles stick with me for after all these years? It's a gift.

Happy 3: Soul Man just came on! Blues Brothers, anyone?

Crappy: Still working on my Fine Arts paper. It's about Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. This is an easy one, right up my alley. However, as it's past midnight and I'm still writing it, it's a slight struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment