Happy 1: Day of firsts. (1) My first out-of-the-office adventure. Remember those Flip Books? The last step is to mail them to the clients. However, they go all over the country so it makes postage a hassle. My supervisor told me to go to the Post Office, take the three boxes going furthest away and record the prices. Post Offices in Chicago are hard to find. I asked where it was and he said it was in the Thompson Building. I thought it had to be a big enough place that I could find it with no trouble. Wrong. I had to ask a lady on the street for help. Once I found the right place I attempted to use the revolving door but it wouldn't budge. The hours posted showed that it should be open. After standing there for a while it occurred to me that it was Veteran's Day. Dork stamp. (That was an accidental pun. Funny.) (2) My first office phone call. I was working on a project and my supervisor told me to call one of the part-time lady's o get some information. Sadly, I needed help figuring out how to dial outside the office. Don't judge, there's lots of buttons. The lady called me back and the receptionist (my super good friend, the receptionist) called me and transferred the call. I felt really important. (3) My supervisor reviewed one of my projects, more tedious formatting in Excel, and he told me it was excellent. That has to be the highest praise I've received so far. (4) My Practicum group ventured to Hyde Park for a neighborhood visit. We met with the pastor of Hyde Park Union Church. When we first got there the church doors were locked, but there was an intercom and some buttons. Our leader wasn't there yet but our appointment time was looming so I plucked up the courage, pushed the button, and talked to someone in the office, who then buzzed us in. No big deal.
Happy 2: River North Dance Company. The Fine Art event tonight was classical dance, kind of like ballet. It was pretty enjoyable. The thirteen dancers were so talented; graceful and weightless. I'm glad it was only an hour long show; it was hard to focus during the large group dances because there was so much going on. My favorite performance was probably the solo dance that was accompanied by a sweet drum cadence. The performers are talented, dedicated, and ridiculously muscular. Overall, it was a good show. It inspired me to get buff and take dance classes just for fun. Yeah right.
Crappy: Kicked in the knee. After the Fine Art event we were waiting at a crosswalk. A cute little boy was standing in front of us, holding his mom's hand. He was probably three years old and bursting with energy, which came out in fits of giggles and lots of jumping. I was standing directly behind the tyke and he totally kicked me in the knee cap. It really hurt. Those light-up shoes did some damage; my pants got dirty and my knee hurt for two blocks. Geesh, kids these days. It's okay, I still like him. He's too cute to be mad at.
Roomie,
ReplyDeleteJoining dance, eh? That's not something I saw coming. But then you have been working out, so maybe dancing is the next logical step. You might want to let your knee heal first though before auditioning.
In O.C. news, the band concert is tonight. My final band concert. Ever. Pretty epic. It should be a good concert. The fam is coming up, as usual, as well as my sister and a good friend from high school! The latter two are spending the night in Steggy. I really look forward to this. :)
Happy Friday!
Much love,
Bestest-est