Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 32

Happy 1: All interns in the Chicago Semester (CS) program are supposed to write an Internship Learning Contract (ILC) with goals, objectives, tasks, and evaluation criteria for the internship. I met with my Practicum Group Leader (PGL) last week to review it and today I met with my site supervisor. During the meeting he showed me some things on the computer and this is perhaps the sweetest thing ever. On the company's internal website, there is a koi pond. Yes, a little pond with koi fish and you click in the pond and fish food appears and they eat it. It serves no purpose other than cheap entertainment for the employees and to nourish virtual fish friends.

Happy 2: On my way to the Clark/Division entrance this morning there was a man standing near by. He was selling some sort of magazine, probably StreetWise (a non-profit organization that prints weekly magazines, sells them to the homeless, who in turn sell them on the street for profit). But he wasn't up in any one's face, he was just standing off to the side holding the magazine and saying good morning to passersby. I returned the greeting and gave him a big smile. He said, "I like that smile. Keep it up." So I did.

Happy 3: I rediscovered the Veggie Tales song Bellybutton. You should definitely check it out. Rachel listened to it for the first time and said, "This is epic." There you have it, folks.

Crappy: I walked into work this morning and the receptionist looked at me and said, "Oh. You weren't here yesterday." What does that mean? I'll tell you what that means. It turns out that clients came to the office today and everyone was supposed to dress in business attire. Gee, thanks for telling the intern. It just happened to be the day I wore a sweater, the most casual thing I've worn to the office to date.

1 comment:

  1. A bit of brotherly advice:

    flannel is made for all occasions. After your morning hike through the mountains, you just pull the rolled up tie out of your pocket and BAM, you're ready for that early morning meeting at the office. What? It's getting too warm? Just roll up the sleeves and undo the top button! Changing oil in your car after work? No problem! Ditch the tie and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete