Happy 1: I got to use my spelling expertise at work today. Many would think that interns at investment firms only have numerical knowledge. But alas, this is not the case. I successfully concluded that the word 'connected' does not have two t's. Here's what happened: a lady was having computer problems so the tech-guy came over to help. He was looking at the screen and asked, "Is connected spelled with two t's?" The lady replies, "Yeah." I waited a little bit and then kind of whispered, "No it's not. There's only one." To which the tech-guy says, "Good, I thought I was trippin'. Darn Chinese." It seems there were instructions that were translated into English from a foreign language, presumably Chinese. Glad I could be of some use.
Happy 2: Investment-world excitement is very funny. Today, one of the stocks we monitor announced they will be paying a dividend in the future. In the office we have three television sets: one for the markets, one for newsy things, and one for ESPN (which is the main focus of the male employees). Anyway, so one guy walks by and sees the news headline. He exclaims, "What?!" And the whole office is trying to figure out what's going on. Let's just say it was the topic of conversation for quite a while. Yep, excitement in the office. It's almost as entertaining as the CPA's office (Love you, Momma!).
Crappy: Much of my day was spent watching the clock. I am currently working on a research project where I look up funds and the stocks therein. It's kind of like detective work, and the goal is to determine why a fund performed well or poorly. The end result is neat, but the process is not. A lot of the financial lingo and data are over my head. I keep telling myself, it's all a work in progress.
Tomorrow is the first day of class. Each Wednesday we meet at the CS office for seminars and practicum group. It's kind of like a Saturday in the middle of the week. Except I have to go to school. At least it's a change of pace.
"I thought I was trippin'. Darn Chinese."
ReplyDeleteI didn't know comments like this actually happened. That is fantastic :)