Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 18

Happy 1: Yesterday in my Practicum group, we discussed our background and reason for being on the Chicago Semester. Additionally, we commented on our experience in the city thus far. I commented that I hate getting on the train and seeing everyone self-consumed, absorbed in their cell phones, iPods, BlackBerry. To a girl from small-town Iowa this is not a good thing. I expressed to my group the desire to talk to my fellow 'L' passengers. Well, I got my chance today. It was shortly after 5pm and I was waiting for my train to go home. A guy standing next to me asked, "Are you from around here?" Mistaken for a real Chicagoan again? I couldn't believe my ears. Thinking that he wanted directions somewhere, I told him no. He said, "Well, do you know if this train goes to Howard?" That was an easy one; the answer was yes. So, we're waiting for the train and one finally pulls up, packed with people as usual. This guy, however, was definitely a visitor because his eyes were as big as saucers and he expressed his shock audibly. After skipping the first train because it was too full, we boarded the second. He had a huge duffel bag and a back pack, both of which are not convenient to have when using this mode of transportation. So, we're riding along and he's holding on for dear life. It was especially funny because he was leaning up next to a partition and that's as stable a spot as you can get while standing. Anyway, he asked which stop was mine and I told him it's the next one. He said, "You're lucky." His stop was Howard, at the very end of the line. After he gets off there he has to transfer to a different line and then walk to some hotel that he doesn't know where it is. He's from North Carolina and he's in town for the Dave Matthews concert this weekend. I'm not sure if it's worth it, buddy. So, this was a good experience because (1) I actually conversed with a fellow passenger, and (2) it made me realize how far I've come in a few short weeks. I know which train to get on, how far to ride it, and how to stand without clinging to a hand rail.

Happy 2: For the Fine Arts Seminar our class went to the Art Institute of Chicago, the Modern Wing. What a place. Normally I don't like "artsy" stuff like that, but it was really great. Having talked about some of the art pieces in class yesterday made me appreciate the artwork so much more. However, there were some exhibits where the artist painted a canvas white. And that was it. I would like to know why this is considered modern art. Overall, most other canvases were painted a variety of colors. That I can appreciate.

Happy 3: I was kept busy at work today! My supervisor returned from the conference out of state and the second-in-command that I've been working with left for a conference. It was perfect timing because my supervisor asked me if I learned such-and-such and it was safe to say, "Well, um, kind of, but I could definitely benefit from having it explained to me again." So he was very patient and explained things well. I did a bunch of different projects and the day went so fast. He also took me out for lunch to discuss internship stuff. Yay for a free meal!

Happy 4: Rachel, my roommate, is lurking over my shoulder, hugging me, and demanding that she be my Happy 4. (She's a little crazy at the moment)...

No Crappy, so I'm moving on to Happy 5: I just got done Skyping with my family. My mom, grandma, aunt, uncle, and cousin, to be exact. It is so good to talk to and see people from home. What a way to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment