Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 09

Written on Tuesday, September 7 at 9:38 pm.

Today we began orientation at the CS office.

This morning I got up, ate breakfast, and headed to the CS office for orientation of our seminars. I am taking Arts and the City (with weekly art events) and Diversity and Inequality. These seminars seem to be very informative and a lot of fun. However, the Arts class is kind of scary because our final project is to compose a piece of art, any kind of art. I’m pretty sure I’ll be doing something musical, although I’ve never composed anything in my life…

For lunch, the CS staff served us Potbelly sandwiches, which was mighty tasty. It was kind of funny because there were bowls set out that were colorful. I thought they were filled with fruit, but upon further inspection they were filled with varying kinds of potato chips. Silly me. We are college kids, after all.

After orientation, my roommate and I used the computer lab to check our email and whatnot since we still do not have Internet access at the apartment. I wouldn’t say I’m dependent on the Internet, but it is very handy for many things, like looking up directions. Ed, our Comcast guy is supposed to be here tomorrow to install our wireless wondrousness. Cross your fingers!

After leaving the office, we headed to the bookstore to buy the texts we’ll need for our classes. Lucky for me, I only need one book and I won’t need it until December. Once I get Internet I’m going to try and buy it online. But, while I was browsing, I came across this awesome children’s book: “Heads” by Matthew Van Fleet. It has textures on one side and a sliding-picture-changer-thing on the other and a pop-up as a grand finale. Pretty sure I will buy it one of these days. Also, I discovered a book that an artist filled with 3-D images of the alphabet. It’s like a pop-up book for big kids.

On our way back from the bookstore adventure, we saw a dollar store. Who can pass up an opportunity like that? We went inside with the specific purpose to buy postcards advertised as 5/$1. What a bargain. But, believe it or not, they were not very good postcards. I know I’m surprised. Nonetheless, we left with a few inexpensive treasures.

Back at the apartment we fixed a wonderful grilled cheese dinner. I used the rest of the evening to take all of my syllabi and put the assignments for the whole semester into my NWC planner. It’s color-coded and everything. I also finished up my thank you notes for various occasions, some dating back six months. Don’t judge me. I should mention that in the last few days I have written, signed, stamped, addressed, and sealed over 25 thank you notes. Yes, you should be impressed.

Happy 1: I have a very long To Do list but things are gradually being crossed off.
Happy 2: Who doesn’t like the first day of class where the professors bombard you with twenty syllabi? It’s my favorite part of the semester.
Crappy: After receiving said syllabi, I came to the realization that I will actually have classes…with homework. And papers. And term projects.
Tomorrow we go back to the CS office to meet with our Practicum group for an outing.

1 comment:

  1. Roommate,

    Um, of course I know what you should do for your final "art composition." Picture this: sitting at the piano, playing something jazzy, and then alternating singing (the way you would serenade me) and beatboxing! Yes. You would get an A for sure.

    Also, your "happies" seemed kinda "crappy" this time around. You need to work on this.

    Ok, I have four more to read! Better keep going....

    Love,
    Bestest-est

    ReplyDelete