Happy 1: Today was class day. During our practicum group we went over the syllabus and other such house-keeping details. To get to know each other a little better the leader asked us to go around and say our name, college, and answer a random question. The question was this: If you could be a utensil, tool, or appliance found in the kitchen, what would you be and why? It's a pretty amazing question, actually. There were some very interesting responses including: an apron so all the girls can try me on (really?), a cupcake pan (some would call it a muffin tin) because everyone likes cupcakes, an ice cream scoop because ice cream is awesome, you get the idea. These responses sparked great conversation. So, I want some reader participation on this one. For anyone that is reading this, your mission, which you must accept because I say so, is to leave a comment containing your answer to the question and your reasoning behind it. Since you may be wondering, I said that I would be a toaster. (1) Because I love toast. (2) Initially a toaster looks cold, what with the stainless steel exterior, and I sometimes come across that way because I am introverted. In reality I'm not cold at all, it just takes me a while to warm up. Pretty deep, huh?
Happy 2: My Metro class, Diversity and Inequality, visited Pilsen. This is a neighborhood that was first inhabited by Czechs, Bohemians, and the Polish, but is now mainly the Hispanic community. The neighborhood is bedecked with beautiful murals and bright store fronts. To end the visit, we went to a Mexican museum full of art and historical artifacts. My favorite piece, by far, was a huge mural made completely out of tiny little beads. The staff guy told us it took seven people two years to make (but don't quote me on that). In any case, it was super cool.
Crappy: I am in desperate need of postage stamps so that I can send some postcards. You would think that would be an easy thing to find, but it's not. Before heading to the CS office for class, Rachel and I made a slight detour to find a post office. We didn't have an address, just the general whereabouts, which would seem sufficient for a post office. Well, it wasn't. We were standing outside a bank and scanning the street and looking a little bewildered. As we're walking away the nice security guard asked us if we needed help finding something. So I told him what we were looking for. He explains that it's just across the street on the second floor of the building, right above the jewelry store but it doesn't open until noon. So he told us to try the one four blocks away. Due to good directions and awesome listening and navigation skills, Rachel and I arrived at the right spot. However, they were having a fire drill and we could not enter. What the crap? A fire drill at the post office? What is this? Sad to say, I did not get my postage stamps.
Okay, I'll bite. I would be a wooden spoon because they are sturdy and useful for mixing up yummy cookies and stirring big pots of chili and also for...well you know what else they are good for. Plus, they remind me of my mom, the Kitchen Diva.
ReplyDeleteI would be a wooden spoon - because that makes me in control of all the naughty boys and girls in the family. Did you have one used on you? Of course not!
ReplyDeletei would have to say i would be a flat serving spatula. Second most highly used kitchen utensil in the world-according to several in depth surveys adminstered by the Rachael Ray show. Used for serving up desserts, hearty meals and occasionaly cracking down on knuckles of hands reaching across the table when they are not supposed to, used in important dinners and light hearted fun family gatherings and meals. So like me i can aid with cute and fun things, or i can aid with the heavy - good for you, but not so always great things/ tasting meals.(if you came from the same family as me). Important or not i am there and being used! so used for a veriety of things but always there when you need it!
ReplyDeleteSpatula. Yup.
ReplyDeletePILSEN!!! I love Pilsen! That was my PG neighborhood. You must eat at El Nuevo Leon or La Ceboillita (sp...) at some point. They are oh-so-tasty! And the 18th stop? Amazing. Hands down favorite.
They sell stamps at the CVS across from Canterbury. That's where I always got them.
Clint says: wooden spoon... do you know how many of those things I got hit with growing up?
ReplyDeleteJill says: cheese grater, cuz I like to cut the cheese!