Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 12

Ah, Friday at the office. Today was a strange day. My supervisor left to go to a conference so I was working with another guy. According to him, today was the craziest day since he started. So what did I do? Well, he gave me this list of 70 items and told me to classify them into categories and subcategories and such. The problem was that I had no idea what I was doing. But that's all part of the learning curve, I guess.

A couple of funny things happened. The restroom is located in the lobby area on our floor so we need a key to use it. Well, I was the primary suspect when one of the keys came up missing. What is that? Just because I'm new doesn't mean I'm a key thief. Then, later in the afternoon I noticed several coworkers looking out of an office window. I watched to see what they were up to and kind of perked my ears up. They were looking at a mysterious shadow flitting across a neighboring building and speculating what could be causing the shadow. The conclusion: a giant kite. Really? It's a bird. It's a plane. It's a...giant kite? That should give you a good idea of the environment of the office - relaxed and very amusing.

Since everyone was busy writing week-end reports, there wasn't a whole lot for me to do since it takes time for them to teach me. I spent part of the day reading articles on Morningstar and looking up things I didn't understand, which was helpful. And I also spent time reading the Wall Street Journal. I was required to read it for some college courses and at the time it was no picnic. But now, I can't believe I'm saying this, I actually crave it. I suppose it's like coffee - it's an acquired taste.

Happy 1: Because there was not much for me to do and everyone was busy, I got off work an hour early. This was especially nice because I beat the evening rush. And fit in an afternoon nap.
Happy 2: People really surprise me. On the streets, on the train, and in the office, there is genuine kindness. For instance, every morning on my way to work I pass about ten people passing out flyers and coupons. I don't want the stuff so I just smile and say 'good morning.' It feels rude to walk by them like they don't exist; they're just doing their job. And the people return the smile and the greeting. Another example happened on the 'L.' The older gentleman I was seated next to told me to take care. People are nice, we just don't give them a chance to show it.
Crappy: I have no weekend plans. My homework is done. My 'to do' list is dwindling. There are many things to do, since it is Chicago, I just need to pick one. Or lounging around is good, too.

3 comments:

  1. Anna, thanks for writing this! I love checking every night and reading your new post! It sounds like things are going well and you are learning so much. We miss you here at NWC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anna

    I just got caught up reading your blog. Cain and Dan are watching the Iowa/Iowa State game, I am pretending to watch. Sounds like things are going very well for you! I am so glad. Hope all continues to go well. I might be consulting you concerning mass transist in Chicago, it sounds like you are an expert already. Take Care of yourself. Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roomie,

    TGIF! Sounds exciting, with the theivery and giant kites. Did you wear jeans today?

    Ok, confession of my own. I miss hearing how Dow is doing every M/W/F. I have no idea where it is right now! Up? Down? Same? I could look it up I suppose, but it is just not the same. I would say that actually enjoying reading the Journal is a good sign though.

    Thanks for the reminder. "People are nice, we just don't give them a chance to show it." So true.

    Keep going strong!

    Love,
    Bestest-est

    ReplyDelete