Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 63

Happy 1: At church today the pastor taught us a little about Halloween. Apparently, Christians wore masks to make fun of the evil spirits. And beggars would go door to door for treats and in exchange pray for the people within that home. Interesting, eh? I like that explanation of Halloween traditions.

Happy 2: Today was endless. Have you ever had one of those days that just goes and goes and never seems to come to an end? Yeah, today was one of those days. I got nearly all of my weekend To Do list done, went to church, took a nap, participated in Halloween festivities, and watched a movie. I love productive days.

Crappy: Some CSers and I partook in Chicago's Halloween celebration; we went to the North Halsted Street Halloween Parade at six o'clock. The girls looked it up online and thought it was for little kids. Uh, they were wrong; very, very wrong. It was essentially a costume parade for adults. What kind of costumes did they wear? It is safe to say that the majority of the males were dressed as females. And the females were dressed in little to nothing. Gross. Disturbing. Inappropriate. Disgusting. However, there was a cool float with fire-breathers and flame-throwers. A guy breathed fire right in front of us and I could actually feel the heat from the flame. Other than that, there was no entertainment. We were standing on the sidewalk to watch but we were smushed up next to the rows of people ahead and behind us. I was so close to throwing up my hands and leaving but I couldn't move. The parade was a bust, the costumes were appalling, I was tired of having some dude's witch hat and hair in my face, and claustrophobia was threatening to take over. Never, never again. We rode on the same train as Batman, Robin, a priest, and Freddy Krueger. It was scary because we were underground and the lights went out for at least ten seconds. When it's Halloween and Freddy is on your train you get a little freaked out. Good thing we had some super heroes to protect us. When we got back to the apartment, Rachel and I wanted to watch a scary movie/psychological thriller. This is generally not my style, but in the spirit of the holiday I thought I'd give it a try. We watched "Memento." The story line was intriguing and the filming was well done. But it was terrible. One of those movies that leaves you with a yucky feeling inside. There was also mega overuse of a certain curse word; it's one thing if it fits the character but in this movie it was definitely forced. Not a movie for the kiddies. (I read my Bible and listened to Christmas music because I was freaked out. God makes everything better!)  Halloween in Chicago...crappy.

1 comment:

  1. Roomie,

    You should have done what Rachel & I did. We watched Monsters Inc. in celebration of Halloween. And ate chocolate. :) No nightmares from that one!

    Much love,
    Bestest-est

    ReplyDelete