Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 50

Happy 1: Word of the day: patience. I had a mug of hot chocolate this morning at work. Unfortunately, I was a little hasty in my consumption and burnt my tongue. That's me being not so patient. However, my patience paid off in another area. The necklace that I wear every day got a tangle in it, which is the worst. I struggled with it for a long time (at work, actually) but with the help of two paperclips and some finagling, my necklace is now tangle free.

Happy 2: I successfully dialed in to a conference call all by myself. It was tricky because you have to dial the number nine before making a call outside of the office, which I didn't know. While I waited five minutes or so for help from the system operator I heard, "An operator will be with you momentarily. Please have your conferencing details ready so we can better assist you." Ten second pause. "An operator will be with you momentarily. Please have your conferencing details ready so we can better assist you." Ten second pause. You get the idea. Annoying, but amusing. One of the main speakers had a slight speech impediment. But it wasn't consistent, only certain words slipped him up. Words beginning and ending with "L" were fine but "really" and "population" were a little troublesome. This is generally not a laughing matter, but it made me smile. There's more. At the end of the conference call there is a time for Q&A. The operator said, "The next question comes from the line of Bob S." A voice came on the line and said loudly, "Is that me?" "Yes, sir, that is you." Absolutely hysterical. What is this, middle school?

Crappy: On my way to work I witnessed two men, on separate occasions, digging through the garbage, clearly looking for something to eat. It breaks my heart but I'm never sure what to do. What is the correct response, to give them my lunch? I don't know how to help them. It is a crappy, crappy thing.

1 comment:

  1. Daughter,

    re Crappy for the day: I love your compassionate heart! I love that you SEE a man who is struggling and want to help. So give him your lunch. Or part of your lunch. Or an apple. Or keep a couple of granola bars in your bag at all times so you can give them away if you see a need.

    If you give a man something to eat, I wonder if the bigger gift isn't the fact that you SEE him. Recognize him as a person worthy of your notice. Treat him like he is another child of God, worthy of love.

    Love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete