Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 59

Happy 1: Today in my diversity class we watched a documentary about black migration in Chicago. "Promised Land" was really interesting and I especially liked it because it was narrated by Morgan Freeman. Class was made even better when the professor let us out thirty minutes early.

Happy 2: Two words - Lion King. Chicago Semester treated us to a Broadway showing of the Lion King. Well, they bought the tickets with the leftover money from my Fine Arts fee from the beginning of the semester. So technically, I paid for the ticket myself. They were $25, which is not much at all for Broadway. As you could probably guess, we were in the nose bleed section. It was still amazing. I sat on the edge of my seat because I was so enthralled...and because that was the only way I could see the whole stage. The opening scene, "The Circle of Life," was impeccable. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. Seriously. Words can't describe how great this show was. I saw it at the Civic Center in high school and seeing it a second time did not disappoint. One of my favorite scenes was after Simba and Nala ventured into the elephant graveyard against orders. Mufasa and Simba were out in the field and Mufasa took off his "king" hat and laid his "weapons" on the ground. This is really symbolic of him stepping out of his role as king of Pride Rock and stepping into the role of Simba's dad. Then he sings "He Lives in You," referring to the past kings. But I took it to mean God. Nice connection, huh? Boy, I'm getting good at this analysis stuff.

Crappy: The people at Chicago Semester told us they would provide bread and peanut butter and jelly for us to make sandwiches on class days. Well, that is a bunch of lies. The last two weeks there has been no bread. What is that? I count on that free food. I think I'm paying enough for them to provide one PB&J a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment