Happy 1: Emily (my college roommate) and I tried to Skype again tonight. It didn't go very well at first. The connection was bad, perhaps due to the 13 million other people trying to Skype at the same time. Geesh, get a life, people! It took a long time to get the call started and in the middle we had to hang up and start again several times. However, we succeeded in having a wonderful, hour-long conversation. Today was not a good day, partially due to my first class of the day (see Crappy), but my chat with Emily was exactly what I needed. Seeing her beautiful face, hearing her voice, and talking about the everyday happenings in the OC did wonders for my spirit. Thanks, Roomie!
Happy 2: I am going home this weekend - woot! The trip is taking more planning than I initially thought, what with public transportation and coordinating with class activities and my internship. So, I do what I do best: stress out. But Rachel (my current roommate) helped me stay calm while I figured out my routes. I feel better now that I have three note cards filled with very specific directions. Planning is good for my soul.
Crappy: The Fine Art event tomorrow night is at Silk Road Theatre Project. This theatre is apparently located in the basement of the Methodist Church where my teacher is the choir director. One would think that this theatre would be Christian, but it is not. One would also think it would be conservative, but it is not. Instead, this theatre puts on plays that are about social justice and whatnot and they are quite controversial for many reasons: (1) bad language, (2) inappropriate content, (3) and they clearly have an agenda. The co-owner came to talk to our class today. He began by saying that he and his life partner...Wait, what? Life partner? The words "absolutely adorable" and "oh my G**" came out of his mouth during his talk. But what I disliked the most was that this guy (if you can call him that) was that he clearly thought the church was not liberal enough. In one of the plays there was a strip pole and the pole dancer's bra "malfunctioned" during the performance. And would you believe that church people had a problem with that? He didn't really understand why. It's held in the church basement, for Pete's sake! He made my blood boil throughout his whole talk and I could hardly make myself sit through the class. Since I didn't walk out, I folded my arms and scowled at him. But besides his obvious conservative-hating stupidity, what is the church thinking by allowing the theatre to stay on their premises when the plays are clearly not meshing with Christian values?
Roomie,
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed our chat yesterday! It was wonderful to see YOUR beautiful face and hear your voice. I should chat with you more often - I was in such a good mood the rest of the evening! And that's saying something since I went from you to clarinet practice. :)
I am so proud of you, roomie! Being in Chicago and preparing to take a train by yourself to Des Moines this weekend. What guts! You're awesome.
Keep it up.
Much love,
Bestest-est