Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 60

Happy 1: The Chocolate Milk Diet. Here's what happened. This guy in my office, "John," is rather rotund. Every day his wife packs him a healthy lunch. And every day he eats it and then goes out to get some non-healthy food. Today, another guy in the office, "Mike," found some papers on the printer. He flipped through them and said disbelievingly, "Who printed off the Chocolate Milk Diet?" There are two girls in the office who always talk about their weight and dieting, but it did not belong to them. So, we're all speculating and wondering who the heck it printed it off. Then "John" comes out of his office and said, "What are you doing with that? That's not for your eyes." And he snatched the papers out of "Mike's" hands. The office roared with laughter. It was extra funny because it was from Women'sHealth.org. A little later, while "John" was out of his office, my co-workers went to town. They went to the store and bought a jug of chocolate milk and placed it on his desk, printed off a picture of a glass of chocolate milk and taped it to his office door, and changed the background on his computer to chocolate milk. They're pretty hard core when it comes to making fun of people. I really enjoy good natured teasing.

Happy 2: I got together with my supervisor and my "second" supervisor to discuss the projects I've been working on. No pressure. I was pretty nervous because a lot of the stuff they have me do just runs together; it's all so similar to me. My biggest project is the SRI (socially responsible investment) research I've been working on for several weeks, pretty much since I started. I didn't know if it was what they wanted, if it would be useful to them, or if I displayed the information in an easy-to-read fashion. When I pulled up the file, they scrolled through it and told me it was exactly what they were looking for and that it would help them decide in which funds to invest. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Good jerb, home slice.

Crappy: More office stories. Remember me talking about good natured teasing? This isn't it. There is one employee that no one particularly likes. She has been known to play Internet games and watch movies at work, while she's on the clock. This is an actual employee, keep in mind, not just an intern. (Not that I would do that). Apparently, she did something really silly yesterday and one of the guys reenacted it for the enjoyment of practically everyone in the office. Come to find out, we thought she was at lunch but she was in an office ten feet away. I don't think she heard or realized what was going on in her absence, but that shouldn't matter. What is this, middle school? I don't laugh at their comments, and I try to stick up for her and give her the benefit of the doubt on most things, but nobody has any of that. Yes, I admit that playing games and watching movies while you're on the clock is unacceptable; someone needs to bring that to her attention. Doing something not so intelligent at work or talking ridiculously loud (which she does), not such a big deal. Leave the poor girl alone.

2 comments:

  1. Roomie,

    1) I read this, remembered that I had a partial bottle of chocolate milk in the fridge, and immediately got up and got it and drank it.
    2) "Good jerb, home slice."??? What is this they are teaching you in Chicago?
    3) Of course your supervisors were super impressed with your project. You are Anna Tammen after all.
    4) Beckie & I decided tonight that everything that happens to us in your absence is your fault. Tonight, I didn't wear a scarf (it was 32 outside) and my face got really cold. That was your fault. Thanks a lot.
    5) I miss you? That's depressing. But true.

    Tomorrow is Friday, then weekend! Many blessings, roommate!

    Much love,
    Bestest-est

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna-
    1) Did you use false names in the first happy to protect the real identities of the persons actually involved.
    2) How many people do you think googled "chocolate milk diet" after you posted that story. I know I did.
    3) Awesome that you gave your supervisors exactly what they wanted. Go Anna! Is there a possibility that this company might offer you a job after the CS is over?

    Keep up the great posts Anna. Love you.

    ReplyDelete