Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 99

Happy 1: Today was my last Monday Morning Meeting. It was sort of bitter sweet; no more taking notes and listening to a voice on the other end of the line telling me about last week's mergers and acquisitions, and no more street slang and "What up, Dawg"s from BMac. At the end of the meeting, my boss (as in the co-owner) mentioned that Friday is my last day. They asked when I was officially done with school. I shrugged and said, "Friday?" They laughed. More attention was sent my way by the compliance officer, Andrea. I put together a trendy outfit all by myself (white button-down blouse with a thick black belt). There's a first time for everything. She told me, "You look cute today." For anyone that knows me well, I do not generally get complimented on my wardrobe. I'll take a t-shirt and jeans any day. But compliments are always good.

Happy 2: Outside my office building were two bright orange cones with a sign reading, "Caution: Falling Ice." It never occurred to me that ice falling from thirty-eight stories up would be quite terrifying. And fatal. This really shouldn't make me happy, but it did. Never have I seen a sign like that in Iowa. It seems that all sorts of dangers await city dwellers - crazy taxi cab driver, dark alleys, falling ice.

Crappy: After work, I headed for the Red Line and boarded the train. I tried to squeeze in where I could so others could get on. Unbeknownst to me because I'm relatively short, no one was standing in the aisle like they should be, so we were all smashed together near the doors. Some lady waiting to board the train yelled rudely, "Move down! Move down so we can get on!" People were not happy with her for being so snippy. One guy looked at her and said, "No one needs to talk to anyone like that." And someone else said, "The doors at the other end of the train won't open. Why would I go down there just to fight my way out again in two stops?" Good point! She was all kinds of worried about herself and no one else. We sure put her in her place. I just smiled to myself. No, I'm pretty sure it was written all over my face.

1 comment:

  1. Roomie,

    I take all credit for your trendiness. We both know that I am the queen of all things fashionable. And chemical. Hence why I am sitting here in "work jeans" and a John Deere hoodie. Oh yeah - that's on the cover of every magazine right now. ;)

    Much love,
    Bestest-est

    ReplyDelete