Happy 1: Chen's Garden. My roommates and I went to the Chinese restaurant in Wrigleyville that I went to during orientation week. That was a long time ago, ninety days, to be exact. Rachel thought I hyped up the food such that she would be disappointed. Boy, was she wrong. The food was just as delicious as I remembered. We shared an entree (sweet and sour chicken) and ordered two appetizers (crab meat won tons and maki rolls). The maki rolls were like sushi only there was no raw fish inside. I had a hard enough time gagging down the "dragon fly" and "tropical" rolls as it was. The restaurant was kind of fancy, with candles on the table, smooth plastic chopsticks, and cloth napkins. I generally like cloth napkins, but not when I would like to discretely dispose of some nasty sushi-like stuff. Our server, Andre, was funny. I tried the "dragon fly" roll per his suggestion, but the girls told him I had a little trouble with it. So, at the end of the meal he brought out the bill and our fortune cookies and said, "It's okay, these taste good." The best fortune of the bunch was: "The nearest way to glory is to strive to be what you wish to be thought to be." Wait. What? Then, as we were walking back to the train, a car full of boys passed by and they yelled out the window, "Hey, ladies." Well, hello there. But it makes me wonder: who taught them manners? Apparently no one.
Happy 2: Kristin kept the wishbone from the turkey they had for Thanksgiving dinner. We broke it and I lost miserably. My side shattered into a million little pieces and went flying around the room, hitting Rachel. The great thing was that it sparked a stroll down memory lane. Does anyone remember the children's show Wishbone? Classic. Educational. Fantastic.
Happy 3: Continuing with the topic of Thanksgiving, Kristin and I taught Rachel (the Canadian) about the tradition of the presidential pardon of a turkey in honor of the holiday. I came across a rather amusing article titled, With Presidential Pardon, Two Turkeys are Safe (http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/11/with-presidential-pardon-two-turkeys-are-safe-this-year/). Here's a little taste: "Out of 20,000 birds born at Foster Farms, these two gobblers [Apple and Cider] were picked out of 25 finalists after strutting their stuff to an 'eclectic mix' of music. 'It's kind of like a turkey version of 'Dancing With the Stars' ... Except the stakes for the contestants was much higher,' said Obama, to laughter. 'Only one pair would survive and win the big prize: life.' " I don't particularly like the pardoner but his comments deserve a chuckle.
Crappy: Rats! Literally. I saw a rat scurrying along the "L" track. Disgusting. It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. But to be fair, it's the first one I've seen all semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment